Two Steps Back

We have all heard that saying that sometimes we need to take a step backwards in order to move two steps forward. This phrase is the one that describes the past three to four months of my life pretty cleanly. Although in a word I would simply say it's been a "whirlwind".

Confused at all?

I know I am. So let me try to clarify by using a timeline.

December 25, 2016
Christmas! Except not. Because of complications at work and Mother Nature's lovely gifts, I was unable to be with my family for Christmas...just like Thanksgiving and so many other holidays. It was at this moment that I became very upset with my work situation. Don't get me wrong I loved my job but it became an avenue for loneliness on the days that were supposed to be most joyous. I knew something was going to need changing at some point.

January 19, 2017
I had been thinking about going to Graduate School seriously for a few months by this point and had started a few applications but when I took a vacation and made it home for some time away from my store, I felt like it was finally the right time. I submitted the applications. Two to be exact. I also scheduled my GRE and did everything necessary for the application process. My plan was to get accepted and then move in August to the location of my program

February 10, 2017
While at work, I received a phone call from my newly promoted boss. She told me that the company decided to close my store down and that we had a week left of business. I was shocked. I was offered another store but felt that with my grad school plans (and the fact that my boss' offer was a lousy one) that it would be better for my future to decline the offer and begin focusing on returning to school. Declining that offer left me unemployed...my first step backwards.

February 27-28, 2017
I was told that the store closing process was to be done originally on Feb. 21. That didn't happen. No fault of my own. The individual in charge of making sure I had all of the necessary tools (my boss) was not on the ball. On Feb. 27 I took my GRE and on Feb. 28 I closed the gate to my store for the last time wrapping up the worst two-and-a-half weeks I have had as a professional. No ones deserves to go through that kind of ordeal.

March 8, 2017
With my bags packed, and boxes loaded, I journeyed back to Idaho. With no job, I could not pay rent so I had to go with the cheapest option for living until I found another job. So, I moved back in with my parents for a time. In a mix of emotions, I knew this was the correct decision mainly because the would land me geographically close to my grad school options.

*   *   *   *   *

So, first was losing my job, and now I moved back in with my family...the second step back.

Don't get me wrong, I love my family but this is a situation I have been in before. Literally. Two years ago, I was in the same place.

The only difference this time around is that now I have an acceptance letter in my pocket. I have a bit of a direction that I didn't have before. That's right, I got into a Master's Program and will be attending school this fall...which may be a step forward.

Speaking of steps forward, I really haven't seen them yet. I'm not a psychic. I cannot tell what the future is going to be. I am optimistic though. I know grad school is the right path. I know moving back to Idaho was the right thing. Now I just need to figure out the why and the how. Why this is right and how I am going to take advantage of the opportunity.

So, although I am job hunting again (which is probably my least favorite thing in the world) and living in my parent's basement, I have faith in that saying I previously mentioned that sometimes taking a step back is necessary for a great surge forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

An Honor

Emotions and Self-Worth