"King of Scars"

Once upon a time, a young boy known for being a voracious reader entered the world of Goodreads....

Alright, alright, so when I started Goodreads I was not a voracious reader and even now I consider myself more a bookworm than a voracious reader. Don't ask me the difference because I have no concrete definition to go off of. I simply know that there are a lot of people out there who read a lot more than I do although I do love reading.

I started on Goodreads eight years ago and have been rather active on there ever since. In the past two years, however, I have become enveloped in the community of readers that is there. I used to try to keep my reading to more the Classic novels and rarely go outside that genre. My lovely reading community finally helped me break out of my narrowness and now I really enjoy everything from nonfiction to historical fiction but I now have a special affinity toward Young Adult fiction.

For one, it is easier to read. The stories are easy to follow and interesting and easy to relate to. But I digress, the point of this rambling was that it was my dear Goodreads community that tipped me off to the book "King of Scars" by Leigh Bardugo which only released in January 2019 and I found it in my hands within its first two months (shown below).


Leigh Bardugo is a rather well known Young Adult author. In a way similar to JK Rowling's Wizarding World, Bardugo has created her own literary setting that she calls the Grishaverse paying homage to one of the groups of people that make up the characters who are called Grisha (individuals with supernatural abilities). Bardugo has written two trilogies in the Grishaverse, one stand-alone, and then "King of Scars", which is the first book in a duology.

No, I have not yet read any of the other books she has written as I have heard (straight from the author's mouth) that it isn't necessary although it may add to the experience. If you would like to start at the beginning, I would suggest starting with "Six of Crows".

This book is a fantasy masterpiece with political undertones. It is easy to see when reading the book that Bardugo has set up a world beyond one single book. There is a lot going on and many characters whose plot lines don't intertwine directly...yet. When you think of fantasy, you think of castles and dragons and princes. All of these are included here as well yet it is done in a much more modern way where the characters actually have personality and humor and sarcasm. The depth of the plot into areas of politics and religion take this book from good to great and the intricacies of the characters are what take this book from great to amazing.

I am very excited for the sequel to come out although with "King of Scars" being so new, I think there will be a bit of time before the next book comes out.

I definitely recommend this book to EVERYONE!!!


Comments

Annaka said…
Reading this book asap! Thanks for the recommendation.
Rodric Anthony said…
It has been two years, Brady. I am patiently waiting for you to post more content for me to read.

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

An Honor