Albania: First Impressions

Jet lag and culture shock have officially set in and I have only been in the country for 24 hours. But my, what a place. If you have watched movies or seen TV about and second or third tier European cities, they are spot on in their depiction. I guess for movies it also seems like a top tier African city if that helps. If that doesn't help then allow me to attempt to explain the magic that is Tirana, Albania.

Traveling into the city to get to my new home I learned about traffic. The main roads have lane lines that nobody really uses. It is an attempt at organization that isn't totally lost but isn't completely followed. In contrast to the large main streets are the tiny side streets that fits one car and one human in width. It is just enough for a car to get around a human that is walking, but forget about fitting two cars wide, won't happen.

In my previous life of "first-world problems" everyone drove to the store bought everything they needed and returned home without interacting with any human life form aside from the occasional cashier. This couldn't be more false for me now. A trip to the night market changed that completely. Everyone walks everywhere. People communicate. Multiple stores are necessary in a shopping trip. I have always thought the art of human interaction was lost in American suburban culture and I feel validated in that assumption. There is a real beauty in seeing everyone out and about. It is a real energy to the city.

When people warned me of cold weather I took their concerns in stride feeling like nothing could be colder than where I came from, which is true. I just wonder if the warnings came from people who had been in my apartment. This small dwelling space is freezing. While the outside is rather pleasant (though rainy), I spend half of the inside time dangling my feet in front of a space heater or under my covers grasping what is left of the warmth in my body.

Apparently the water is not drinkable (I have not drunk it to find out) and doesn't get warm very quickly or at all. Thus a lukewarm shower will assist in paying a lighter utility bill and may assist in waking me up in the mornings though it also makes me want to climb back into my aforementioned covers. Jet lag doesn't help with that either.

Church today was an interesting and great experience. I understood about 0.5% of the words that were spoken because those ones were in Anglesht (English). Okay, so I caught a few new words but for the most part today was an experience in understanding a more common language: The Language of the Holy Ghost. Also, the language of love was present as the members of the local ward welcomed me and my colleague with open arms and really helped us feel welcome. The people here are amazing and so loving. I had a first today bearing my testimony through a translator. Luckily I wasn't required to speak the language but it was fun watching people smile and nod from shoulder to shoulder. (In Albania, a horizontal nod which I normally feel says "no" actually says "po" or "yes" so that is an adjustment also.)

Tomorrow I will likely get out more into the city and see some touristy things unless our boss has us ready to go tomorrow which is possible though sounding a bit unlikely. One boss is going to set up an appointment to meet with us soon and the other I won't meet until Wednesday at the earliest so the next few days could be interesting. And since jet lag has me on a short chain, I better sign off and attempt to acclimatize to the time zone.

Mirupafshim bor sot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor