Lessons Learned

It has been close to four months since coming home from school. Four months of time that I have had to find myself, or at least to learn more about myself. Needless to say, four months is a fair amount of time for deep thinking. Many of the things I have learned are quite personal and will not be shared but I will share the most important thing. I learned who I am. . .well, at least a little more of who I am. I am a child of God. I also am a pretty typical young adult male. For a long time I have been set in my ways of doing things. I still am in a way, but over my break I have come to like new things more and more. For instance, one of my best friends has introduced me into the world of country music. I have heard it before and liked some songs but I never would have turned the radio to a country station. Now, it is the first thing I hear when I turn my car on. From the small things that dictate my momentary enjoyment to the things that truly bring me joy, I have definitely grown as a person as well. Going to college and being in a new and independent world, I put a lot of pressure on myself to have a good social life. It worked, I had the best social life that I have ever had. I also had an emphasis on the female gender. It is natural for a returned missionary to find a girl, but in the aspects of friendship and relationship, I was putting too much pressure in the wrong places. Rather than go into the details of the bad, what I learned was that true friendships just happen. It doesn't require extra effort. With a relationship, it is similar in a way. For me it has been easy to immerse myself in opportunity. In a few different instances, the very moment a girl told me she liked me, or I even thought that might be the case, I jumped in full force. I was often attracted to the fact that someone was attracted to me. There is great wisdom in the words: "Slow and steady wins the race." Right now, I am satisfied with friendships. That is one reason I am very excited to go back to school; to create and reignite friendships. I think one of the things that has grown the most in me over the break though is my feelings for the gospel of Jesus Christ. Because of the examples of diligent friends whether they are preparing for missions, marriage, or homework assignments, I have been more motivated to strengthen my personal relationship with my Savior Jesus Christ. Through the scriptures, testimonies are built. Mine was. Even just thinking about it right now brings peace and I can't help but smile a little. My family has been wonderful to me over the break by just giving of themselves each in their own unique ways. I love my parents and my sisters. They mean the world to me. I really have grown over the past four months and I look forward to taking all the new knowledge I have up to college with me and gaining even more. This is gonna be fun!!!

Comments

You really have grown! LOVE YOU!

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor