#2 The First Girl I Loved

My last post introduced you to how I am getting my writing prompts now....I think I want to change my mind on that. Why? Because the vulnerability is about to be exposed.

Prompt #2: Describe Your First Girlfriend In Detail

If you don't believe me that this is the prompt, I urge you to check out the list at  http://www.mantelligence.com/best-journal-prompts/

I invite you to do this because this post may become a bit embarrassing for me and it wasn't my idea. But alas, in an attempt to actually stick with something for a change, here goes nothing. To begin with, I have to define "girlfriend" because I have been a part of everything from flings to flirtationships to full-on relationships. The girl who I will be talking about is the first girl that I loved and fell in love with. For the sake of anonymity (and the fact that she may read this) I will simply call her "J".

I met J when I had a crush on another girl although from the first time I met J, I knew she was someone special and that she would play some sort of a role in my life. We first bonded (and argued) over American Idol. We were rooting for different contestants. Neither of our favorites ended up winning, which might have been for the better. Weekly watching of the show quickly turned into doing homework together and then into going to parties together.

I was very surprised at how quickly J stole my attention. Within two weeks of knowing her, I gave her my first kiss ever. I have been asked if I ever regret my first kiss (apparently a common regret and common question) and the answer is a resounding no. Though it was a bit awkward, because of my own doing, it was a positive memory...and the beginning of me falling in love for the first time.

Throughout the time after the kiss and before the relationship actually started, J was being chased by other guys....plural. Somehow she chose me. The moment that happened I knew for sure that I was then, and for the very first time, in love.

There are a lot of memories that I could share about her and the time we spent together but my favorite was when she and I sat on the couch, put on a movie, and didn't watch it. Now don't get the wrong idea. Although some kissing probably happened that night, that isn't why we weren't watching the movie. We ended up having an incredibly deep conversation about life and the future and the the gospel. It is a conversation that now, years later, I still vividly remember. I am a sucker for intellectual conversation.

Although things didn't work out between us, I am very happy that J was my first love. She taught me a lot and gave me a lot of positive firsts. To this day I still respect her and hope that her and her husband and their adorable child achieve the highest levels of happiness.

And J....if you are reading this....just know that if you are ever in need of validation, I can provide some for you, though your husband is probably better at that than me. Haha. Best Wishes.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How sweet!
Anonymous said…
Sometimes it’s hard to forget or get over your first love. Have you gotten over her? If so, how did you do so?

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor