Martin's Cove

My parents came to town this weekend to spend some time in Casper, Wyoming. Let's be honest, there really isn't much to do in Casper but the main activity that was planned was a quick trip to Martin's Cove.

For those unfamiliar with this historical location, Martin's Cove was a main thoroughfare for early Western travelers. The Oregon Trail, the California Trail, and the Mormon Trail all made their way through this area with its landmarks including Devil's Gate and Rattlesnake Gorge. As a part of the experience, visitors are given the opportunity to walk the trails that these pioneers of Western American civilization walked as they forged forward to their destinations. Unfortunately we did not schedule enough energy to make the 5-mile trek but we made sure to make our way through the visitors center and the surrounding buildings to learn more about specifically the Mormon pioneers.


This area is significant for me and my family as my ancestors came through as early settlers of the West. The Barnes family were members of the Martin Handcart Company, a group known for tragedy and a high percentage of deaths comparably on the duration of their trek. This family of eight only saw one casualty, the father, George Barnes, who was buried at Martin's Cove.


This is the story I know best about my ancestors so this visit was a positive experience in that respect. I am grateful for my ancestors and the trials they went through that made it possible for me to live in a place and a time that I love so much.


One interesting takeaway concerns the passing of generations. Maybe I am ignorant and not in touch with history, but I feel that this period of time is becoming less and less known or cared about. Watching the blacksmith work was interesting but I didn't connect with the tools or machines. My mother, however, connected well as she related stories of her grandmother using some of the artifacts that we saw. This is where I believe it is a generational thing. The lack of exposure of these things to today's youth and society makes this period in time and this culture a fading gem in history.


One final note. On our way out, my father reminisced about when he brought his father to Martin's Cove a few moths before his passing. My father noted the light in my grandfather's eyes as he talked about his ancestors. That story from my father was a special moment for me. Knowing that my family, my grandfather who I knew well and loved, held this place as sacred finally gave me something to connect to and gave me a moment to remember.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor