Music Box Wed: Chris Lake

As many of you know, music is one thing that really keeps me going, especially when the middle of the week hits and it's hard to make it through. I have found that when I start feeling down, sometimes I just need a good song stuck in my head or a great find on new music to improve my mood. Yesterday morning, I had the hardest time even listening to music. That's when I knew I was having a problem. Once I had finally conquered the workplace, I made an extra effort to dive into music to help turn my frown upside-down...and it kinda worked.

This last weekend, I had a friend introduce me to the Chris Lake, a major EDM artist who has hit some of the biggest stages in the world including Coachella this year.



I enjoy EDM music. It has never been my top genre but I like to make it a point to explore all genres and I am really glad that I found Chris Lake tonight. Normally I am partial to lyrical genius with a soulful melody. You know, those songs that you fearlessly belt out in the car on your way to work knowing that if anyone else were in the car with you that you would have to restrain yourself. Well, this is about the opposite of that.

Chris Lake's music isn't about the lyrics. Some of the songs have a decent couplet of lyrics but for the most part the lyrics really don't factor into the music. The music is all about the music. Chris Lake take a rather simple beat, plays it on repeat and then adds nuances or power stanzas over it to create an experience within each song. The creativity is found in these little variations with instruments that range from hollow plastic pipes to bongo drums.

This is dance music in the most non-mainstream form. I could see much of the music being the background for a "Fast and the Furious" movie or simply a beat that you get lost in the moment you step into the club. It music you don't have to think to hard about but you let it just take you on and adventure.

I am so glad that my friend introduced me to Chris Lake as it has definitely changed my mood around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

An Honor

Emotions and Self-Worth