Are You Unhappy With Your Job?

Many of you know that once upon a time I wanted to be a sports journalist. Since that time, things in my life have changed so much that I still am not sure exactly where my life is going to take me.

Anywho, I was listening to ESPN radio at just the right time to hear a conversation that the two hosts were having regarding jobs and breaking into the industry. Their conversation was very generalized toward any job and how many people take some time to figure out what they want to do. Some people have a moment or a breaking point that pushes them to finally buckling down to find their occupational euphoria. They cited a podcast that I am currently listening to (That's What She Said with Sarah Spain) with guest Adam Amin who is a new star in the sports journalism community who exemplified the process of "making it".

It is something that has gotten me thinking about the many nights that I have spent lying awake hating the job I am in (which has varied based on times in my life and with many jobs I have had) and trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. What makes me happy.

I still don't know the exact answer for me but I know that where I am now is not where I want to be.

The common theme in the podcast is essentially that whatever you choose to do, you have to work at it. You have go half way. You have to invest in it. Your soul is the price. Literally. If you are not invested, then you will never make it.

I know that the job I am currently in....I'm not invested in it for life. It is not a secret that I don't want to work there forever. It was never meant to be permanent and I have been there longer than I expected to be. It is just about time to move on but I need to find out where I go next. What I do know is that my next job needs to be in the direction of my end goal...even if it isn't a super fun part of that process.

The podcast talks about how in every industry there are those who are naturals. But even if you aren't a natural doesn't mean you won't make it. It just means you have to put in that much more work. I am not sure what I am a natural at but I shouldn't base my career off my skills. I need to base my career of my passions and then build the skills while busting my butt at those first jobs so that I can excel while being satisfied.

"Try to change your situation. Try to be better at the job that you're in." These words from Adam Amin in the podcast show the two options that we all have if we are unhappy with what we are doing with our lives and want to change it. "You have the ability to change your mentality."

Seriously...you all need to listen to this podcast:
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=24244239

Let's just say I am doing a lot of thinking to do. Always have. Probably will. But that isn't a bad thing unless I fail to act on the thoughts that I have. Thoughts and dreams are nothing if you are putting in the work to make them happen. Gotta put in the work.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor