January Adventures (part 1)

I have been holding onto this post for a couple weeks now. As a part of my New Year’s Resolutions, I have been wanting to get out more and have experiences that will make me happy. Ya know, find the things I love and just do them. Let’s just say January has been a good month for this and there are mainly two weekends that prove this.

This post will be about only the first of the two weekends....and there are pictures this time for proof.

January 12-15 (MLK Day weekend)
To start out with you need to know that I am not rich at all. Money doesn’t come super easy to me but that is something that I don’t want to have holding me back. This particular weekend, I spent a lot but I had one of the greatest weekends of my life.

I’ve that weekend I made the decision that no matter what it took I was going to see two Broadway traveling shows. The first one was “Rent” in Idaho Falls on Saturday. Prior to this show, it had been a while since I had seen a show that was neither a high school/college production nor a community theater production. I had forgotten how amazing professional shows were. And I’ve known the music to the play for a very long time.



It was amazing. The set was beautiful. The music was outstanding. And with the exception of only one actor (we won't discuss that) everyone did their part perfectly. It was a perfect show to see in preparation for the second one.

That second show came one day and 200 miles later. Sunday early afternoon I traveled down to Salt Lake City to go see "Something Rotten". First of all, I have to mention how much I was geeking out just to be walking around a big(ger) city and catching the vibes of the hustle and bustle. It was an amazing feeling. And then I saw the theater....


In the middle of all of these older style buildings, a clean, white, new and modern building emerged from the canvas and left me breathless for a moment. The building was absolutely beautiful inside and out.

But now to the show. For those who don't know, "Something Rotten" is about a writer in the time of Shakespeare who is trying to break out of the shadow that Mr. Shakespeare himself had cast over writers of the time simply with his popularity. The set was Elizabethan but the music was contemporary Broadway. Complete with jokes or spoofs of some sort on every other major Broadway show out there, this musical launched itself onto my favorites list and possibly into my top 5.


Oh and did I mention that Adam Pascal was in it?! You know, the guy who played Roger in the movie version of "Rent". Talk about irony having seen that play the night before.


So really, my weekend was mainly going to these two shows but the adventure of it all (and the money that I spent) made it a weekend that I won't soon forget.

Stay tuned for part 2 coming soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor