#4 How To Read

Time for another of those 101 Journal Prompts!!!

Prompt #4: When did you last read a book, why did you read it, and what was it about?

Many of you know that I love books. That has always been true. I have not, however, enjoyed reading.

When I was younger, I had a very difficult time comprehending what I read. I could read an entire book, be asked questions about it, and have no idea of the answer. While in elementary school they instituted the "Accelerated Reader" program. It forced me to answer questions about what I read. I hated it because I wasn't good at it.

Although, I still don't have top notch comprehension I have learned over the years that the more I read, the better I get at reading. It also matters what I read.

This year, I set a goal to read at least one book per month. So far so good. I am ahead of schedule. The most recent book that I have finished i would be The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway. I just finished it a week and a half ago.

There are a couple reasons that I chose this book at this time. First and foremost, I am a part of a book club on Goodreads.com (if you love books, you need to check out this website). The Sun Also Rises just happens to be the book they we chose for May. I have been wanting to read this book for a while and with the group reading it, I had the motivation needed to read it.

I attempted this book previously, ya know. made it more than half way even. But this time I finished it.

I have always had some fantastical love affair with Hemingway's works although it isn't the easiest to read. My senior year in high school I was able to visit both the location where he wrote his final major novel (For Whom The Bell Tolls) as well as his Idaho home where he finished his tortured life. I will not forget those and it has become a reason why Hemingway is one of my favorite authors.

This book doesn't have too much of a plot. It's just about life. It follows a narrator and the people he spends time with as they live in France and travel to Spain just following WWI. They are a part of what's known as the "lost generation".

What does that mean? You decide.

Maybe they were lost, not knowing what to do without war dictating their lives. Maybe the time between WWI and WWII gets lost in history and this is a window into social life in that time period.

For me, this was a book about motivation. Some of the characters are completely unmotivated. Some are strongly motivated toward one specific thing...or person. It made me ask the question, what am I motivated by?

Any book that keeps my attention and makes me think is a good book.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor