The "Hunt": We need a new word for it

I have never been a hunter or an outdoorsy guy of any kind. It's just not my style. Aside from the often cold mornings and the necessity to be still to not scare of the animals of choice, I just can't do it. That necessity to stay still is what baffles me about how the word "hunt" as used in situations other than game hunting.

My two "hunts" that I find myself knee-deep in today are these: Jobs and Girls.

As the overly stereotypical 26-year-old, unemployed, single male, living in my parents basement, I feel like I am Matthew McConaughey's character in "Failure to Launch"...except that he even has a great job. Thus it is not only a necessity but a goal and great desire to "hunt" for both a job to help me get on my own two feet and a girl to provide me with some companionship (which is on the third tier of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs).

To take my initial example with the given explanation (hunting game and staying still) I would assume that to "job hunt" would involve me standing still and waiting for employers to bang down my door (or my email) because of my amazing qualifications, educational achievements, and unique life experiences.

If only...

Job hunting and hunting for a significant other are very similar in this respect. No one will knock on the door without knowing you first. Usually both cases require a decent knowledge of the individual before contact is made. Whether that knowledge comes through a conversation or cover letter, effort has to be done and interest stated clearly to even have a chance.

I imagine at this point a hunter walking through the forest, spotting a deer, and climbing atop a near boulder proclaiming, "I have shot 20 deer successfully before and my intentions with you are to perform in a similar  manner. I hope you will see my qualifications and allow me to have contact with you and your colleagues."

Even the word search seems too easy. Word searches are recreational. Search engines help you easily find what you are looking for online.

It is now that I propose a new word that ought to be interchanged for "hunt" in these and any other applicable situations. Plea. I am now knee-deep in the processes of job pleading and pleading for a companion.

If you have any words you feel work better for these situations, please share. I am willing (and secretly wanting) to re-write my grammatical vocabulary so that what I say is, in fact, what I truly mean.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

Reading List