The Value of Friendship

Over the past couple of weeks the topic of friendship is something that I have been thinking a lot about. What exactly it is and who is considered a friend. I have learned a lot through my pondering. In my psychology homework I stumbled upon a Japanese word that I think comes very close to a definition of friendship. The word is amae. The translation is: "the pleasant feeling of depending on someone else" or "the feeling of comfort in another person's acceptance." This may be different for different people but I believe that this adequately describes not only the question of what friendship is but also who true friends are. Family members can be friends. Over the past few weeks, I have been able to have correspondence with many, but unfortunately not all, of my friends whether it be a small sentence on facebook or a conversation via phone or otherwise. I am so grateful for my friends. They do give me that comforting feeling that I feel is needed for survival. As stated in the translation, it really is a pleasant feeling brought on by feeling accepted. Without pleasant experiences in life, a depressed soul is bound to be the outcome of a simple day. Life is meant for happiness; therefore, life is meant for friendship. I would do anything for my friends. I would die for them because of the huge blessing that they are in my life. To my family, past schoolmates, current schoolmates, mission friends, the amazing people that I met on my mission, my church friends, and any others that I may have missed, thank you and I love you.

Comments

Whitney said…
Love you too bud!!! You are a true friend too and I am grateful for everything you have done for me and your example. Can't wait to see you and get a "Brady Hug".
Im lovin' this post. YAY for good friends. One's who are there through the good times and the bad times. Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

33 Beginnings

"King of Scars"

An Honor